Walk With Me

Experiencing life...wide open

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

Monday, April 17, 2006

dirty

Why do I keep going back to the dirt in my life (as a good friend would call it). I don't think anyone is intentionally looking at me, investigating my past, but I could be wrong. It seems that every situation I am in ends up reflecting something that has occurred in my past, lately it seems to be a combination of things. Is it some twisted way of teaching me a lesson? I think so. I think it could be someone reaching up and trying to warp my thoughts to doubt the good in my heart...I wish I could say I'm strong enough to resist but I'm not sure I've reached that point yet.

Why is it that I have to pay someone to listen to the dirt of my past...I have to pay them not to judge me, not to look down on me or laugh at me or turn away from me. I am required to tell possible employers or lenders all the mistakes I have made, I actually have to give them names and phone numbers of people they can call who would be more than willing to honestly divulge my personal information.

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't have anything to hide. I'm more than willing to tell most anyone about my sins, my dirt, the mud that is stuck to my past while I desperately try to wash it away. The problem is, I think most everyone would turn from me...laugh at me, look down on me.

I interview people once a year. Once a year for a six month position that could possibly be the most important job having the most impact on our community they will ever hold. I can't say I go into this with an unbiased mind because I don't. I have previous staff these applicants are fighting against...fighting to look as good to me as they did. The thing is, I'm not looking for their past, I'm looking for their future. I'm trying to find out where they are going in life and what they want to do. What impact they want to have. Do they slide by while others do the majority of the work or do they offer to stay extra hours, even if they can't be on the clock. If someone were to apply who is a convicted felon, or has some other past that might be less than desirable, sure I would look at them different, but it would be one of two ways: either with respect for their courage to disclose this information and let me into their life; or with disappointment because I found something out through contacting their previous employers.

We should be lifting each other up and encouraging others to be honest rather than condemning each other for the mistakes we have made. It's not where we come from so much as where we are going. Whether we take ownership in what we have done and move forward with those things in our mind, constantly conscious of mistakes that could be made; or we hide our dirt, if we sweep it under the rug.

In a perfect world honesty about our sins would be rewarded with love and encouragement to do it right the next time...until that day, I concede to my weekly bill for support and encouragement that comes free of judgment.

Do not judge, and you will never be mistaken - Jean Jacques Rousseau

growing through His love...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home