Walk With Me

Experiencing life...wide open

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

Saturday, June 17, 2006

the accident

so, my drive into work yesterday was quite interesting...

i got up relatively early for work and was very excited when i was leaving the jewett's house a bit early. as i left the neighborhood, my mood only got better because the typical line of cars was non-existant. there was no one on the road! the interstate was moving and i was psyched. looked like i was actually going to get there early, yay!!! this should have been my first clue that things were not going to end well, i am not this lucky.

i merge onto 485 and start flowing with traffic. i moved into the left lane to pass a few people who were driving crazy slow and was making pretty decent time. and no, i wasn't speeding! i was actually going about 66, which is a little unusual for me. anyway. i passed under the bridge at johnston road and the person in front of me began to break, hard and fast. well, i was doing ok. i wasn't too close and had no fear of hitting him.

the second time i hit my breaks, i happened to glance into the rearview mirror...big mistake. i saw a white car swerving to the left shoulder in an attempt to miss me. the next thing i know i was facing oncoming traffic head on. those of you who know my reactions to little things like stubbing my toe can imagine the scream that erupted as i spun around. crying, i look to my left and see three other cars off the right shoulder, one halfway up the hill of the johnston entrance to 485 ramp.

i called sarah, thankfully i had left before her and she was just leaving the house. she came to my rescue and stayed with me during the rest of the ordeal. here's what happened, according to the compilation of our four individual parts in the accident.

there are a total of four vehicles in the accident. me, girl behind me in her mercedes, guy behind her in his bmw and guy in right lane in his flatbed type utility truck. i will refer to them by their respective cars.

as i'm breaking, mercedes is breaking and decides to swerve to the shoulder to avoid me. bmw is also breaking, unsuccessfuly, and slams into the rear of mercedes which sends her into my back end. i'm sent in a spin toward the left shoulder and she is sent toward the right, as is bmw. as bmw is veering to the right, flatbed is minding his own business in the right lane. bmw forces flatbed off the road and they travel side by side into the hill.

mercedes looks like she has hit a brick wall with the amount of damage to her front end, it completely crumpled. so far, my bumper is the only thing affected, and it's not even bad. bmw is also crumpled in the front end, but the impact shattered his driver window. flatbed has limited damage, some scrapes on the side of his truck and a utility box that hung on the side is smashed in.

amazingly, no one was hurt. we all walked away from it. 911 was called and an officer came to sort out the situation, he was funny. bmw was determined to be responsible for the accident and was given a ticket.

what an incredible morning. my first accident. crazy. so lucky to have a friend like sarah who is willing to spend two boring hours on the side of 485 with me. she's pretty fantastic.

growing through His love...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home