Walk With Me

Experiencing life...wide open

My Photo
Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Expanding our knowledge

I love the third Tuesday of the month because I get to spend my day with the Women's Auxiliary. Now, for those of you who are not familiar with The Salvation Army or might not know what a Women's Auxiliary is...let me explain. The Women's Auxiliary is a group of about 150 women from the community who volunteer their free time, of which some women have more than others, to help make The Salvation Army a better place (to learn more about Charlotte's Women's Auxiliary, please go to http://www.salvationarmycharlotte.org/WomensAuxiliary.html).

So, our WA meets the third Tuesday of every month, September through May. Since we are in the process of selling the Charlotte Area Command building, we have been holding our meetings at other locations. Today we were at the Adult Rehabilitation Center (ARC).

The ARC is an incredible facility...I am reminded of this every time I visit. I often lose sight of how blessed I am to be dealing with minor things such as unsightly weight gain or annoying facial blemishes when there are others who are struggling to overcome drug and alcohol addictions. The ARC is a facility that embodies The Salvation Army's mission to lead men into a proper relationship with God. Not only do they focus on spiritual development that needs to occur in order to become closer to God, but they realize the need to address the physical issues as well. Major Overton said today that you cannot speak to someone of God's love when his feet are hurting...it's true. I go off into another world if my hair tickles my face, what would I do if an addiction was taking over my mind?

I learned that every month, the last Wednesday of every month, is the night that sobriety is celebrated. The men receive a special dinner and then there is a ceremony. I am planning to attend this months celebration. These men need all the support they can get. Struggling through a program that is breaking down everything they have been conditioned to know as living, starting their life from square one and then being reintroduced into society as a "productive member". What does that mean, a "productive member of society"...another topic for another day.

Well, it's time to go home so I'm gonna run. Just wanted to share my excitement from the day and hopefully get some other people excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home